Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Comic relief

Today I call out into the hallway for my client with the 1:30 p.m. appointment.  He stands up and walks towards me with this gloss over his eyes like he is lost.
We exchange pleasantries as we walk back to my office and once there, I offer him a seat.  He sits down and tells me that I am not what he expected.

Me:    What do you mean, what did you expect?

CL:    I was expecting you to be ...   ...   ... ugly.

Me:    O_o Huh?

CL:    Yeah man, I was expecting you to be ...   ...   ... not ... cute.

Me:    [awkward laugh] ookk, well, I guess that's a good thing that I didn't
           live up to your expectation??

We spend the next 30 minutes having 2 COMPLETELY different conversations.

Me:    Do I have your name spelled correctly here?

CL:    Are you married?

Me:    I have your social as xxx-xx-xxxx...

CL:    You have some very pretty eyes

Me:    Your date of birth is x, correct?

CL:    I should have taken a shower before I came.

Me:    Have you ever been granted YO before?

CL:    Don't I need your personal number in case I need to talk about my
          case after hours?

Yes, you read that correctly. YO.  As in "Youthful offender", as in UNDER 21.  This kid is in some serious big boy trouble and all he can think about is how he wishes he had taken a shower and put on some clothes rather than coming to see me right after the gym.  I try to explain to him that it would not make a difference how he came dressed because I do not date my clients, present or former.  His response?  "Can't they give me another lawyer?" lol

I really needed that laugh today.

Until next time,

Be blessed, be careful, don't confess and don't consent.

~LT

No comments:

Post a Comment